A sign at the entrance to Tooradin on Sawtells Inlet.
It is a commemorative plaque marking the site of the Tooradin Coach Route which passed through here in the 1800s.
The sign reads:
In the late 1800's the coach route to South Gippsland after leaving Tooradin at times ran along Corduroy Road laid along the water's edge because the ground elsewhere was too marshy and the bush too dense for safe passage.
Corduroy named after Corduroy Cloth was the road building technique used by the pioneers. The supply of crushed rock and other permanent road building materials was quite limited so they used timber from the surrounding heavy bush. Logs were cut and laid together across the road's width providing a solid but very bumpy surface.
A section of corduroy construction is laid at the base of this marker.
(The base of the marker seems to be covered with plants!
But could the sign refer to the "props" of the marker?)
Old travelling days
Lively challenging journey
Thrill seeking moments